Boil a white shirt in a pot with lemon slices and you might end up with this amazing result
Making sure white clothes remain white seems like an impossible task sometimes. White socks discolour after a few wears already and end up looking more like grey socks. Then there are white shirts, which transform into grey-white items in no time at all, it seems. Luckily, there’s an easy trick that will help you turn your white shirt back to its original bright white self. My aunt from Houston, Texas told me about this trick and it worked quite well.
A shirt that’s supposed to be white but no longer is is not exactly a pretty sight. Socks also discolour within no time, which is less of a big deal because when they’re inside your shoes, nobody sees them anyway. When shirts lose their white shine after a couple of wears, however, it really is a bummer.
It can make your clothes look a little dingy and that’s not what you want at all. So, should you throw the shirt away after wearing it only a couple of times? No! There’s no need to waste a perfectly fine shirt like that. With this trick we’ve got for you today, your shirt will be back to being bright and white within a jiffy!
This is what you do:
- Put a big pot of water onto the hob and wait until the water is heated up.
- Cut a lemon in slices.
- Put your shirt (or another formerly white item of clothing) into the pot with water (be careful not to slosh the water over the edge) and add the slices of lemon.
- Let the shirt and the water boil on low heat for 5 minutes and stir regularly.
- Carefully drain the water from the pan. Let your shirt cool for a couple of minutes before taking it out of the pan.
- Now, wash your shirt like you normally would in the washing machine. You’ll notice your shirt will look a lot more white when it comes out of the machine!